As a homeowner, you need to make sure that you take care of your property. Regularly inspecting, cleaning, and maintaining your home will help it maintain its value and prevent expensive repairs in the future. We’ve gathered the most important summer home maintenance tasks in one convenient article for you to use as a checklist.
What You Should Do Throughout the Year
There are a lot of home maintenance tasks that you should be doing throughout the entire year, typically about once a month. You want to continue doing these during the summer. They include:
- Testing your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Cleaning your furnace filter.
- Cleaning showerheads and faucet aerators.
- Checking and unclogging your drains.
- Checking air vents for blockages.
- Cleaning the garbage disposal.
- Flushing hot water from your water heater.
- Vacuuming heat vents.
Other Tasks on Your Summer Home Maintenance Checklist
In addition to those tasks that you should do regularly year-round, there are plenty of summer-specific tasks you should take care of. These include:
- Checking your dishwasher for any leaks.
- Cleaning your kitchen exhaust fan’s filter.
- Cleaning your freezer and fridge coils.
- Checking and replacing the washers in your faucets and showerheads.
- Pruning shrubs and trees.
- Sealing tile grout.
- Oiling your garage door, hinges, and opener.
- Cleaning out the lint from your dryer vents and washer hoses.
- Inspecting your siding for loose or rotten bits.
- Repairing exterior walls.
- Repainting or touching up exterior walls.
- Washing your windows.
- Servicing your air conditioning.
- Inspecting your foundation.
- Inspecting your fencing.
- Cleaning your gutters and downspouts.
- Power washing, then resealing your deck.
- Refilling cracks on your driveway or sidewalks.
You may also want to take advantage of the nice weather in summer to complete non-urgent summer home maintenance and renovations. This is a good time to replace doors or windows or your roof. It’s also a great time to build that deck you always wanted.